Sunday, August 28, 2005

Carley and Katrina

I think I told you guys that I was planning on going to Miami this weekend. Well, because Katrina was headed straight for Miami, we changed our tickets to a different weekend and went to Houston/ Austin instead. We had a great time. But then it was time to come home, and guess who's waiting for us? Katrina.

So we drove back towards Baton Rouge. It ended up taking us a really long time. We started in Austin, ate a huge breakfast, and got on the road. Around Houston, we ran into bad problems because of construction and roads just being randomly closed down without any forewarning. So it took us a long time, although we did get to stop at Amy's, which made me quite nostalgic. At Beaumont, we stopped to get groceries, non perishables in case the power went out. At Lafeyette, we stopped, ate dinner, and then stopped at Walmart to buy batteries and everything. We didn't get back to Baton Rouge until about 8 at night. It was crazy.

So when we got back to Baton Rouge, I went back to my apartment and got to work at propping all my furniture up. This was unfun. Remember that most of my furniture is solid wood. It is all EXTREMELY heavy. I think I hurt myself, but I did get my hutch, my kitchen table, my piano, and my cedar chest off the ground. Not much off the ground. If it floods more than a couple of inches of water, I'm screwed. But at least if it floods just a little bit, it will provide some protection for my furniture.

So right now I am crashing at a friend's house in Baton Rouge. No work tomorrow, the plant is shut down, so all non essential personnel aren't supposed to come in. My group of work friends and I are all holing up together. We're stocked up on food and water and flashlights. We are supposedly far enough inland that things won't be too severe, but we are playing it safe. It looks like we will probably lose power, but we are equipped to deal with it.

Anyways, I wanted to post to let everyone know that I am somewhere (relatively) safe. I'll post again when things have calmed down a little and let everyone know I'm safe. Hope all of you are doing great!

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Derrick said...

Glad to hear you're alive! No worries, I'm sure both you and your furniture will make it out OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home